Tuesday, June 25, 2013

One Reason why "i-Android" over iOS


Look, I'm an Android guy; and not just because I started out Android. I tried to switch to Apple, gave it an all out shot. I was determined to do it as fast as my finances would allow (no, that's not a dig on the price of Apple devices... plus Android devices can be just as pricey). I began with buying two new iPads, one for my wife and one for me. My phone contract wasn't up for renewal, so I didn't go for the iPhone at that time. I was in with my iDevice sporting friends. Emphasized how I loved the feel of the iPad, how smooth the transitions are, and the cool hand gestures to maneuver from app to app. And all these pros are legit pros! After two months, I couldn't take it any more. I called a friend who wanted an iPad and sold it at a slight loss. The next day I purchased the Nexus 10 and am glad to say, I never plan to even attempt an Android mutiny again.
I say that to give background for this - my wife kept her iPad. She loves it. Yes, I still love her. =) It does what she needs... most of the time. Tonight, I was reminded of why I prefer Android. My wife was trying to share a photo in a Facebook message with a friend and the Facebook app was glitching (not Apples fault, I realize that) so I was just going to upload the photo to Dropbox so she could send her friend the link through Facebook Message and her friend could view/download the photo. My wife has a Dropbox account and has the Dropbox app on her iPad, but did not have the option to share/send the photo to Dropbox from the photo itself. I had to enable Dropbox to have access to her photos, then go into Dropbox and upload the photo from that app.
Android has more options
The frustrating thing is that I am limited on my choices of how I can share things. I can only share something from the limited options Apple thinks I should have. If I want upload it to Dropbox, or some other app, I must exit the app I'm in, go to that app, and access the object I was just on though the new app in order to upload it. A bit cumbersome, and extremely frustrating to me. On my Nexus 10, I can share the file from right where I am with ANY app I have on my device that has sharing/uploading capabilities. (You'll notice the list on the Nexus 10 actually can be scrolled down to reveal more options that aren't depicted.)
I guess my one reason is really two: 1. Convenience 2. Options. The primary reason of the two being that I like options.
PS. There are more reasons, but this is just the one I wanted to highlight here.
So, which do you prefer? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment